A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 75 million projects started on Thumbtack
- 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 9 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
- Develop software for Thumbtack’s applications and large-scale distributed systems, using a variety of scripting languages and big data ecosystems.
- Build new product features and architect infrastructure to support a fast--growing user base.
- Debug software and maintain operational systems for Thumbtack.com.
- Write high quality, maintainable code with large-scale distributed systems using tools in the big data ecosystem.
- Design and build Thumbtack.com’s software infrastructure to maintain stability and scale.
- Define and implement standards that help the company create a consistent, quality experience for its users across all software interfaces.
- Conduct statistical analysis and verify quality of code using A/B testing.
- Build out alerting and monitoring for production systems.
- Collaborate with engineering, product, and design groups to execute on a diverse range of software development projects and gather valuable user insights for both internal and external clients.
- Telecommuting permitted.
What you'll need
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field.
- Three (3) years of experience in the job offered or in a software development-related occupation.
- Minimum one (1) year of experience required in each of the following skills:
- Unit test framework including JUnit and Mokito
- Experience with SQL and MySQL
- Web application development experience including client and server applications, RESTful API, and databases
- Continuous integration and continuous delivery tools including GIT, Gradle, Maven, or Jenkins
- Object-oriented design concepts
- Data structures and algorithms.
The expected salary range for the role is currently $161,500 – $218,500. Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with in-person events
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and Thumbtack services (North America)
- WiFi reimbursements
- Cell phone reimbursements (North America)
- Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.