Data Scientist, Business Analytics
A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 75 million+ projects started on Thumbtack
- About 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- About 10 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Business Analytics Team
The Business Analytics team’s mission is to unlock strategic opportunities and enable Thumbtack to achieve its full business potential. To accomplish this mission, we focus on:
- Business performance: Metrics, dashboards, and forums that help us measure progress towards our goals and foster deep understanding of our business.
- Strategic insights: Analytics to uncover insights that will be game-changers for our business, and that inform company strategy and team execution.
- Telling Thumbtack’s story: Using metrics and data visualization to tell Thumbtack’s story to investors, board members, our team, and the world.
- Building a world-class team: hiring the best, and investing in coaching, learning, and team building.
We are a tight-knit group that is passionate about driving business impact through data science and analytics
About the Role
As a Business Analytics team member, you’ll drive insights and action across the breadth of the marketplace. You’ll be a steward of key company metrics and dashboards, and dive deep on analytical questions that are critical to Thumbtack’s success. You’ll partner with our leadership team to develop company strategy and goals, share performance updates with the Board, and work with teams across the business to drive actionable insights and business impact. This particular role will focus on business intelligence and business performance reporting.
- Define, measure, and track the key metrics that measure Thumbtack’s success
- Design and build key company data tables, dashboards, and insights tools that power decisions across the company, and evolve them as our product and business change
- Lead business performance analysis and reporting to inform leadership of emerging risks and opportunities
- Partner effectively with teams across the company, including Product, Engineering, Marketing, Operations, Finance, as well as Thumbtack’s leadership team
- Contribute to our team and company data culture through peer collaboration, training, coaching, and more
What you'll need
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- BA/BS degree, preferably in Economics, Business, Math, Statistics, or Computer Science
- 2+ years of experience in a highly analytical role, preferably with experience in tech analytics
- Proficiency using SQL to analyze large data sets
- Experience with Look ML development and Looker dashboarding
- Exemplary analytical problem solving skills, including solid statistics foundation, strong business judgment, and the ability to identify and synthesize insights from analysis
- Ability to work with company executives to understand the company’s business needs and drive decisions
- Strong communicator, attentive listener, and compelling explainer
Bonus points if you have
- Experience working in a marketplace business
- Experience with R or Python
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines.* Learn more about our virtual-first working model here. #LI-Remote
For candidates living in San Francisco / Bay Area, New York City, or Seattle metros, the expected salary range for the role is currently $115,000 - $150,000. Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.
For candidates living in all other US locations, the expected salary range for this role is currently $100,000 - $135,000. Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with in-person events
- 20 company-wide holidays including a week-long end-of-year company shutdown
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and Thumbtack services (North America)
- WiFi reimbursements
- Cell phone reimbursements (North America)
- Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.